From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 22:47:09
1 On 20/09/2015 00:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Also, emerge running --changed-deps=y from time to time may make those
3 > kinds of problems less likely. The first time you do it prepare to
4 > see a LOT of stuff get rebuilt - any of those packages could cause
5 > issues in the future but most probably will not.
6
7 And you might be unlucky like I was to find that all KDE packages
8 suddenly had this weird dep on qt*[-phonon], and emerge would barf out
9 on the first one found. So I rebuilt that package and it barfed on the
10 next one. When I did this 20 times, I figured portage would do it for
11 all KDE packages - 300+
12
13 Not a chance I was going to do that. Instead:
14
15 emerge -e world
16
17 and wait 14 hours.
20 >> > You fail to understand how gentoo works. At no time did Gentoo ever
21 >> > guarantee that updates would work like binary distros and the process
22 >> > would be trouble free. Quite the opposite - Gentoo is upfront in telling
23 >> > you that there will always be update issues and you are the person to
24 >> > solve them.
25 >> >
26 > While Gentoo doesn't do as much handholding as many distros, the
27 > portage output above should not be viewed as something we are proud
28 > of.
29
30 It's either due to it being a really hard problem or the portage team is
31 short of manpower. Either way, I'm content not to bitch about it mainly
32 as the tree is a unique thing in the Linux world
33
34 I personally think it's a hard problem. Portage only knows what it has
35 in it's internal data structures when it decides it can't continue. It
36 can't provide the user with a meaningful answer as is so often asked for
37 here so what is it supposed to do? It's not a human.
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com