From: Edward M <edwardmartinez@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ECC-ram, it is worth it.
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:18:26
1 On 07/29/14 11:18, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:00:26PM -0700, Edward MN wrote:
3 >> On 07/26/14 15:55, walt wrote:
4 >>> On 07/26/2014 10:39 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>>> [894019.770058] [Hardware Error]: MC4 Error (node 0): DRAM ECC error
6 >>>> detected on the NB.
7 >>>> […]
8 >>>> and this, my children, is why I am using ECC ram.
9 >>>> […]
10 >>>> And this evening, with a thunderstorm outside I got that beauty above...
11 >>>
12 >>> Is ECC memory a drop-in replacement for ordinary RAM, or does it need
13 >>> a special motherboard?
14 >>>
15 >> yeah, requires a motherboard that supports ECC ram.
16 >
17 > Big was my surprise to learn that our old Pentium 3 PC from 1999 has ECC
18 > support in its three RAM sockets. The problem today is the artificial
19 > paritioning of the market.
20 >
21 > It seems nigh impossible (at least in the Intel world, please correct me
22 > regarding AMD) to have ECC RAM in a normal Home PC these days, especially in
23 > an ITX form factor, as I am currently investigating. There are Xeons for the
24 > 1150 “consumer socket”, but ECC is only supported by server chipsets such as
25 > the C series. Those come either on ITX boards with abysmal I/O capabilities
26 > for home use or on high-power workstation ATX boards that cost a small
27 > fortune. *sigh*
28 >
29 > I would have liked the aspect of a system that tells me when something goes
30 > wrong, but there seems no such thing for my requirements. So I must help
31 > myself with file checksums when dealing with my archive disks.
35 Unfortunately, I think it would be difficult finding a home-user board
36 with ECC support. since, nowadays appears ECC is mostly for systems
37 where data corruption is unacceptable, such a bank,etc