From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ECC-ram, it is worth it.
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 18:19:08
1 On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:00:26PM -0700, Edward MN wrote:
2 > On 07/26/14 15:55, walt wrote:
3 > > On 07/26/2014 10:39 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > >> [894019.770058] [Hardware Error]: MC4 Error (node 0): DRAM ECC error
5 > >> detected on the NB.
6 > >> […]
7 > >> and this, my children, is why I am using ECC ram.
8 > >> […]
9 > >> And this evening, with a thunderstorm outside I got that beauty above...
10 > >
11 > > Is ECC memory a drop-in replacement for ordinary RAM, or does it need
12 > > a special motherboard?
13 > >
14 > yeah, requires a motherboard that supports ECC ram.
15
16 Big was my surprise to learn that our old Pentium 3 PC from 1999 has ECC
17 support in its three RAM sockets. The problem today is the artificial
18 paritioning of the market.
19
20 It seems nigh impossible (at least in the Intel world, please correct me
21 regarding AMD) to have ECC RAM in a normal Home PC these days, especially in
22 an ITX form factor, as I am currently investigating. There are Xeons for the
23 1150 “consumer socket”, but ECC is only supported by server chipsets such as
24 the C series. Those come either on ITX boards with abysmal I/O capabilities
25 for home use or on high-power workstation ATX boards that cost a small
26 fortune. *sigh*
27
28 I would have liked the aspect of a system that tells me when something goes
29 wrong, but there seems no such thing for my requirements. So I must help
30 myself with file checksums when dealing with my archive disks.
31 --
32 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
33 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
34
35 Can you give me a cigarette? Mine are still in the vending machine.