From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory/CPU usage in recent versions of Firefox
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 19:24:46
1 On 06/14/17 14:42, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 14 Jun 2017 13:10:16 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Starting a few months back, I've noticed that on some of my machines,
4 >> Firefox has started to use rediculous amounts of CPU and memory. It
5 >> will burn 100% of a CPU for minutes at a time while apparently doing
6 >> nothing. Opening 2-3 tabs will use up 1-2 GB of RAM. Doing the same
7 >> thing thing in Chrome uses 0% CPU (once pages are rendered) and less
8 >> that 1/10 the RAM.
9 >>
10 >> I've got the same version of Firefox with the same set of extensions
11 >> on other machines that don't seem to have issues.
12 >>
13 >> Is there any useful troubleshooting one can do (e.g. uninstalling
14 >> extensions one at a time)? Or is it finally time to give up on
15 >> Firefox?
16 >
17 > It may be hardware acceleration trouble. What video card are you using? I
18 > have noticed hard lock ups on FF, LibreOffice and even Kmail (more rare) on
19 > two different systems with AMD/Radeon video cards. The keyboard becomes
20 > totally unresponsive. This has started since the last Xorg/Mesa update, but I
21 > haven't had the time to look into it. The logs do not show anything
22 > meaningful. FF was particularly troublesome on version 45.8.0, but with
23 > 52.1.0-r1 seems to have settled down.
24
25 I have one system with a fanless radeon card ::
26 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
27 [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E]
30 that goes blank, locks keyboard and requires a hard system reset,
31 sporadically.Sometimes months, sometimes a few days. It always comes
32 back fine after reboot. Numerous memory scans finds nothing wrong with
33 ram. It locks up sporadically, unrelated to load/hardware usage, neither
34 specific to an application. I suspect the video driver and associated
35 codes, but have not found it. Then again, I have not looked in a robust
36 manner. If you look at Phoronix, there is heavy work on most aspects of
37 the greater AMD/radeon area of linux.
40 I just hope some more modern fanless video cards (radeon) become
41 available, as what I use is old. I was/am preparing to work on
42 radeontop. Some folks boot windows and use vendor supplied diagnostic
43 tools when a gremlin appears in the radeon hardware. My card(s) are so
44 old, I'm waiting on newer fanless cards (have not looked lately to see
45 what's is out there that is fanless, radeon and priced lower). All in
46 all, I love radeon/AMD video cards; ymmv.
49 radeontop needs tlc, so anyone could jump my efforts as that ebuild/code
50 needs some updates. I'm not sure when I'll get to (proxy) fix it up;
51 but it monitors the radeon cards by categories of GPU/resource
52 utilization, if certain apps are killing your video/system. Not sure
53 what new features are in the newer versions. I do have a plethora of
54 older radeon cards to test, if somebody wanted to proxy maintain
55 radeontop, as I'm not sure when I'll get to it.
58 https://github.com/clbr/radeontop
61 Bad year for this old fart, in several domains....
64 hth,
65 James