From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory/CPU usage in recent versions of Firefox
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 18:43:06
1 On Wednesday 14 Jun 2017 13:10:16 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > Starting a few months back, I've noticed that on some of my machines,
3 > Firefox has started to use rediculous amounts of CPU and memory. It
4 > will burn 100% of a CPU for minutes at a time while apparently doing
5 > nothing. Opening 2-3 tabs will use up 1-2 GB of RAM. Doing the same
6 > thing thing in Chrome uses 0% CPU (once pages are rendered) and less
7 > that 1/10 the RAM.
8 >
9 > I've got the same version of Firefox with the same set of extensions
10 > on other machines that don't seem to have issues.
11 >
12 > Is there any useful troubleshooting one can do (e.g. uninstalling
13 > extensions one at a time)? Or is it finally time to give up on
14 > Firefox?
15
16 It may be hardware acceleration trouble. What video card are you using? I
17 have noticed hard lock ups on FF, LibreOffice and even Kmail (more rare) on
18 two different systems with AMD/Radeon video cards. The keyboard becomes
19 totally unresponsive. This has started since the last Xorg/Mesa update, but I
20 haven't had the time to look into it. The logs do not show anything
21 meaningful. FF was particularly troublesome on version 45.8.0, but with
22 52.1.0-r1 seems to have settled down.
25 Regards,
26 Mick