From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A Glitch in the Matrix or just another burb of emerge... ;)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 16:34:30
1 Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o> [16-05-16 14:09]:
2 > On 05/13/2016 06:09 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2016-05-11, Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Looking further at the ebuilds in question, it appears that if you wish
6 > >> to have older versions of GCC installed with >=gcc-4.9, you need to have
7 > >> USE=multislot on the *newer* versions of gcc (this USE=multislot doesn't
8 > >> appear to be completely broken like the old USE=multislot was; now the
9 > >> SLOTs are constant with respect to USE).
10 > >
11 > > So slots no longer "just work" like they have for the past 15 years?
12 > >
13 > > You now have to explicitly request installation in a slot by setting
14 > > the multislot flag?
15 > >
16 > > Did I miss an eselect news warning about this?
17 > >
18 > > Is this true for all packages that were previously installed in slots,
19 > > or have gcc and a select few been chosen specially for this breakage?
22 > In this case, it's *just* GCC that has this issue. It appears that the
23 > definition of the "multislot" flag for sys-devel/gcc,
24 > sys-devel/gcc-apple, and sys-devel/kgcc64 changed from meaning "Make all
25 > the SLOTs include the minor version" (so SLOT=4.9.3) to "Allow multiple
26 > versions of GCC to be installed at all (instead of one per CTARGET)"
27 > [although it doesn't quite do that yet; reason unknown]. This change
28 > appears to have been committed back in March, the reason we are all
29 > seeing it hit now (as of 8 May) is that portage finally has a reason to
30 > want to recompile GCC, because there is a new "vtv" flag available (for
31 > vtable verification).
32 >
33 > --
34 > Jonathan Callen
38 Hi,
39
40 me again, the problem owner...
41
42 I read elsewhere, that the ANDROID-IDE and crosscompiling
43 for Atmel-chips has a problem with newer versions of gcc
44 than those being installed on my system before the glitch
45 in the Matrix happened.
46
47 I cannot decipher the message of thread exactly enough
48 to decide whether that glitch is a problem of emerge/portage
49 and need to be fixed there (and I have to wait until then) or
50 whether I am able to fix it (I dont like workarounds for
51 tools, which decide over the go/no go of a system which
52 is based on gcc that much as Gentoo does, though).
53
54 And...if I have to fix something:
55 What exactly should I do?
56
57 Thanks for any help for a non-Neo in advance!
58 Best regards,
59 Meino