From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A Glitch in the Matrix or just another burb of emerge... ;)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 03:32:15
1 On 05/16/2016 12:34 PM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o> [16-05-16 14:09]:
3 >> On 05/13/2016 06:09 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2016-05-11, Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Looking further at the ebuilds in question, it appears that if you wish
7 >>>> to have older versions of GCC installed with >=gcc-4.9, you need to have
8 >>>> USE=multislot on the *newer* versions of gcc (this USE=multislot doesn't
9 >>>> appear to be completely broken like the old USE=multislot was; now the
10 >>>> SLOTs are constant with respect to USE).
11 >>>
12 >>> So slots no longer "just work" like they have for the past 15 years?
13 >>>
14 >>> You now have to explicitly request installation in a slot by setting
15 >>> the multislot flag?
16 >>>
17 >>> Did I miss an eselect news warning about this?
18 >>>
19 >>> Is this true for all packages that were previously installed in slots,
20 >>> or have gcc and a select few been chosen specially for this breakage?
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> In this case, it's *just* GCC that has this issue. It appears that the
24 >> definition of the "multislot" flag for sys-devel/gcc,
25 >> sys-devel/gcc-apple, and sys-devel/kgcc64 changed from meaning "Make all
26 >> the SLOTs include the minor version" (so SLOT=4.9.3) to "Allow multiple
27 >> versions of GCC to be installed at all (instead of one per CTARGET)"
28 >> [although it doesn't quite do that yet; reason unknown]. This change
29 >> appears to have been committed back in March, the reason we are all
30 >> seeing it hit now (as of 8 May) is that portage finally has a reason to
31 >> want to recompile GCC, because there is a new "vtv" flag available (for
32 >> vtable verification).
33 >>
34 >> --
35 >> Jonathan Callen
39 > Hi,
40 >
41 > me again, the problem owner...
42 >
43 > I read elsewhere, that the ANDROID-IDE and crosscompiling
44 > for Atmel-chips has a problem with newer versions of gcc
45 > than those being installed on my system before the glitch
46 > in the Matrix happened.
47 >
48 > I cannot decipher the message of thread exactly enough
49 > to decide whether that glitch is a problem of emerge/portage
50 > and need to be fixed there (and I have to wait until then) or
51 > whether I am able to fix it (I dont like workarounds for
52 > tools, which decide over the go/no go of a system which
53 > is based on gcc that much as Gentoo does, though).
54 >
55 > And...if I have to fix something:
56 > What exactly should I do?
57 >
58 > Thanks for any help for a non-Neo in advance!
59 > Best regards,
60 > Meino
63 The simplest solution to get multiple versions of GCC installed at the
64 same time is to add "sys-devel/gcc multislot" to your
65 /etc/portage/package.use (if using crossdev (and you know if you are),
66 you also would want "cross-CTARGET/gcc multislot", where CTARGET is the
67 target of your crossdev install).
68
69 This will remove all of the blockers on older versions of GCC, at the
70 expense of having to recompile some/all of them. The only thing that
71 the multislot flags controls at this point is the blockers; not having
72 USE=multislot prevents old versions from remaining installed (i.e.,
73 setting the flag *allows* old versions to remain installed).
76 Jonathan Callen