From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cflags for atom
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 00:45:42
1 If you havent already, I would first verify that its actually CPU bound,
2 before changing CFLAGs and recompiling everything. So take a look at top,
3 vmstat, mpstat etc when you're noticing slowness. If it is truely CPU bound
4 and you're going to recompile everything, you could consider upgrading to
5 the ~ version of gcc first, with the assumption that the optimizations
6 maybe be better. However, my gut feeling is that you wont get much or any
7 improvement over your current CFLAGs.
8
9 The i686 and -Os ideas are interesting. See if you can find any benchmarks.
10
11 Also - try diffing the kernel .configs - maybe you missed something
12 important on the slow system.