From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cflags for atom
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 02:20:24
1 On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:45:35AM +1100, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > If you havent already, I would first verify that its actually CPU bound,
3 > before changing CFLAGs and recompiling everything. So take a look at top,
4 > vmstat, mpstat etc when you're noticing slowness. If it is truely CPU bound
5 > and you're going to recompile everything, you could consider upgrading to
6 > the ~ version of gcc first, with the assumption that the optimizations
7 > maybe be better. However, my gut feeling is that you wont get much or any
8 > improvement over your current CFLAGs.
9 >
10 > The i686 and -Os ideas are interesting. See if you can find any benchmarks.
11 >
12 > Also - try diffing the kernel .configs - maybe you missed something
13 > important on the slow system.
14
15 Interestingly, I did carry out tests when I received my netbook in order
16 to decide between 32 and 64 bit. I did the same tests when I migrated my
17 big laptop from 32 to 64 bit, but I can't remember the results for the
18 netbook anymore except for LUKS performance:
19 the aforementioned hdparm -t on my encrypted /home amounts to 18 MB/s on
20 32 bit, but reaches almost 30 MB/s with 64 bit. In the end, I went for a
21 64 bit kernel to increase some computing performance, and 32 bit for all
22 the rest for memory reasons. The only additional "cost" is that I have
23 to maintain a 64 bit toolchain via crossdev.
24 --
25 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
26 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
27
28 Arrogance is the art of being proud of one’s own stupidity.