From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild question
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:09:13
1 On Monday 19 February 2007, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild question':
3 > On 2/19/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
4 > > On Monday 19 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > > I'm not clear why revdep-rebuild is showing lots of broken
6 > > > linkages but then telling me everything is in order and there is no
7 > > > work to do to clean up the system.
8 > > >
9 > > > I haven't seen this before. What's causing it?
10 > >
11 > > They might be orphan binaries from a previous incomplete unmerge, or
12 > > something locally compiled, or even files installed from a foreign
13 > > package system (.tgz or .rpm perhaps?)
14 >
15 > Seems reasonable. Would I (Could I?) then do an equery depends on
16 > each binary and assuming nothing depends on it remove them by hand
17 > without causing damage?
18
19 Probably want to do a (b)elongs instead of a (d)epends, but yes, assuming
20 you aren't maintaining those binaries outside of portage's control. (E.g.
21 locally compiled or from a foreign package system.)
22
23 > I'd want to do another revdep-rebuild every so often to ensure that
24 > things remained consistent.
25
26 Yep. revdep-rebuild used to be part of my daily system maintenance script
27 (and will be put back once I figure out a good way to use paludis instead
28 of emerge for the remerge part).
31 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
32 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
33 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
34 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
35 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!