From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild question
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:29:20
1 On 2/19/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 > On Monday 19 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I'm not clear why revdep-rebuild is showing lots of broken
5 > > linkages but then telling me everything is in order and there is no
6 > > work to do to clean up the system.
7 > >
8 > > I haven't seen this before. What's causing it?
9 > >
10 > > What's the process to get this cleaned up and down to no messages
11 > > about broken things?
12 > >
13 > > Thanks,
14 > > Mark
15 >
16 > My guess would be that portage cannot assign the broken binaries
17 > (/usr/bin/avibench etc) to an ebuild, and therefore there cannot be
18 > anything to emerge.
19 >
20 > They might be orphan binaries from a previous incomplete unmerge, or
21 > something locally compiled, or even files installed from a foreign
22 > package system (.tgz or .rpm perhaps?)
23 >
24 > alan
28 Alan,
29 Seems reasonable. Would I (Could I?) then do an equery depends on
30 each binary and assuming nothing depends on it remove them by hand
31 without causing damage?
32
33 I'd want to do another revdep-rebuild every so often to ensure that
34 things remained consistent.
35
36 Thanks,
37 Mark