From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild question
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 07:49:57
1 On Monday 19 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 2/19/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 19 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > > I'm not clear why revdep-rebuild is showing lots of broken
6 > > > linkages but then telling me everything is in order and there is
7 > > > no work to do to clean up the system.
8 > > >
9 > > > I haven't seen this before. What's causing it?
10 > > >
11 > > > What's the process to get this cleaned up and down to no
12 > > > messages about broken things?
13 > > >
14 > > > Thanks,
15 > > > Mark
16 > >
17 > > My guess would be that portage cannot assign the broken binaries
18 > > (/usr/bin/avibench etc) to an ebuild, and therefore there cannot be
19 > > anything to emerge.
20 > >
21 > > They might be orphan binaries from a previous incomplete unmerge,
22 > > or something locally compiled, or even files installed from a
23 > > foreign package system (.tgz or .rpm perhaps?)
24 > >
25 > > alan
26 >
27 > Alan,
28 > Seems reasonable. Would I (Could I?) then do an equery depends on
29 > each binary and assuming nothing depends on it remove them by hand
30 > without causing damage?
31
32 You're on the right track with the wrong command. 'equery depends
33 <package> tells you what packages depend on the given package. You
34 want 'equery belongs <binary>' which will tell you what ebuild put the
35 file there. You get three cases:
36
37 1. It's an orphan, left over from an unmerge that wasn't fully
38 successful. if you don't need them, delete them.
39 2. A package was installed, and it created it's own binaries for it's
40 own use. Portage didn't put them there so doesn't know about them. This
41 is rare and usually applies to config and other data files. In this
42 case it's up to you to figure out what the file is as portage can't
43 help.
44 3. You compiled something long ago by hand and didn't put it
45 in /usr/local/ like you were supposed to, and used /usr/ instead. In
46 this case you get to remember what you did by yourself :-)
47
48 > I'd want to do another revdep-rebuild every so often to ensure
49 > that things remained consistent.
50
51 revdep-rebuild after every 'emerge -uND world' is highly recommended
52
53 alan
58 Optimists say the glass is half full,
59 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
60 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
61
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
64 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list