From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mpv upgrade warning
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:59:07
1 On 19/09/2015 21:17, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On 19 September 2015 20:11:31 BST, Alan McKinnon
3 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > On 19/09/2015 20:59, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >
7 > On 19 September 2015 19:55:45 BST, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
8 >
9 > Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >
11 > I actually forgot I posted this, was rather sleepy. I also had to
12 > fight udev changing sda to sdf for no damn good reason, wound up
13 > having to use UUIDs (which I've never had to use before.)
16 > Because I'm a lazy guy, I'm using labels instead of UUIDs. They have
17 > the advantage that I don't have to change fstab when I must replace
18 > a disk.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Regards
22 > wabe
26 > Strictly speaking, you don't have to do that with UUIDs as you can
27 > change it to match the old one. That big advantage of labels is that
28 > they are human-readable.
31 > Well I can read UUIDs, they are hex gibberish but still readable.
32 >
33 > Labels are human *understandable*
36 > That's like saying you can read French because you know the letters even
37 > if you know nothing of the language :P
40 Ah, but UUIDs have no intrinsic semantic meaning, they are just huge
41 chunks of guaranteed-unique text. Much like French come to think of it...
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com