From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 00:03:34
1 On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 16:00 -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > On 5/25/06, Thomas Kirchner <lists@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > > It takes about as long to start going as it does to open the archive
5 > > > /portage-20060123.tar.bz2 - conincidence? I think not!
6 > >
7 > > I think so ;)
8 >
9 > If it's not, then I really need to ask why on earth portage takes so
10 > long to just index and search packages that took apt-get much less
11 > time to work with.
12
13 In defence of portage, I estimate there are 11229 packages that portage
14 has to search through descriptions, dependencies, masks, etc:
15
16 $ cd /usr/portage; find . -maxdepth 2 -mindepth 1 -type d | wc -l
17 11229
18
19 does apt-get really search this many packages?
20
21 > I don't think it should be this slow.
22
23 And I don't think I should have this little money :) But seriously, I
24 think you trade off speed when searching, vs speed when syncing, vs
25 keeping a database up to date. As already mentioned, there are other
26 tools to help speed it up.
27
28 Also,
29