From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 23:09:50
1 On 5/25/06, Thomas Kirchner <lists@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > * On May 25 11:45, Lord Sauron (gentoo-user@l.g.o) wrote:
3 > > I've found (after much exploration) that there is a archive:
4 > > /portage-20060123.tar.bz2
5 >
6 > This is just a remnant from when you installed Gentoo. You can delete
7 > that file. Portage is already using uncompressed files under
8 > /usr/portage - that tarball is just a "starter" tarball that portage
9 > bootstraps itself with during the initial Gentoo installation.
10
11 That's curious. So I can delete this tarball then?
12
13 > > I also think that there's another file, /metadata.tar.bz2, which I
14 > > think is portage-related. If possible I'd like to uncompress that as
15 > > well.
16 >
17 > I've never seen a metadata tarball. metadata.xml is something portage
18 > keeps uncompressed in /usr/portage for every package.
19
20 I've got one on my hard drive. You can have it if you want ; )
21
22 > > It takes about as long to start going as it does to open the archive
23 > > /portage-20060123.tar.bz2 - conincidence? I think not!
24 >
25 > I think so ;)
26
27 If it's not, then I really need to ask why on earth portage takes so
28 long to just index and search packages that took apt-get much less
29 time to work with. I don't think it should be this slow. I'm not
30 even talking about compile-times - I know and expect those to be slow,
31 but just raw package searching and stuff is not that fast.
35 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
36 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
37 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
38 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
39 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list