From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:47:41
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ha scritto:
2 > Firstly, ignore those that want you to buy another piece of hardware to do
3 > something your computer is perfectly capable of doing. It's an
4 > unnecessary expense, and while initial configuration *might* be easier
5 > you'll pay later because that "simple" interface doesn't expose enough to
6 > allow you to effectively troubleshoot.
7
8 Good point. I agree and I'm sorry. I explain why I immediately adviced
9 for buying a router: here in Italy most commercial ADSL providers rent
10 you an USB modem (not an Ethernet one). Some USB ADSL modems are somehow
11 supported on linux, but drivers are famous to be poorly documented,
12 unreliable and to make them work is often a real pain in the neck.
13
14 So when my parents got an ADSL I immediately told them to not rent the
15 modem, and I bought them an ADSL router, that indeed worked perfectly
16 from scratch.
17
18 However I'd still advice for a small ADSL router if he wants to connect
19 more than one box. Of course he can build a Gentoo router himself buying
20 a very old machine and a bunch of ethernet cards on eBay :)
21
22 m.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list