From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:44:35
1 On Wednesday 10 January 2007 12:43, Jorge Almeida
2 <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote about '[gentoo-user] moving to ADSL':
3 > I'm about to switch from cable to ADSL anytime soon, and I'm trying to
4 > prepare the computer for the big change, given that there will be a time
5 > gap without internet access and that I can't expect any support
6 > whatsoever from the provider's staff. Of course, I can't do any
7 > testing...
8
9 Firstly, ignore those that want you to buy another piece of hardware to do
10 something your computer is perfectly capable of doing. It's an
11 unnecessary expense, and while initial configuration *might* be easier
12 you'll pay later because that "simple" interface doesn't expose enough to
13 allow you to effectively troubleshoot.
14
15 > According to
16 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=3,
17 > it seems that it is enough to emerge net-dialup/rp-pppoe, edit
18 > /etc/conf.d/net and edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. Is this correct? I mean,
19 > what about the contents of /etc/ppp/, like /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf? Aren't
20 > we supposed to edit at least the latter?
21 > The handbook says the contents of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets must be
22 > "username" * "password"
23 > but /usr/share/doc/rp-pppoe-3.8/pap-secrets.gz says it must be like
24 > bxxxxx@×××××××××.ca * my_password *
25 > (i.e., another * and no quotes...)
26 > Can someone clarify this point?
27
28 While the handbook sometimes leaves things out, if it explicitly mentioned
29 you *do not* need to do something, you won't *in the most likely case*.
30
31 That said, we are using ADSL for part of our connection here and I believe
32 we are having a Gentoo machine handle to pppoe connection. I'll see if I
33 can't get your an actual configuration (minus passwords, of course) and
34 send it to you privately so you have a concrete, working example of pppoe
35 in Gentoo.
36
37 You might also check the Gentoo wiki, it may have more details than the
38 handbook.
39
40 > Another matter that is not clear to me: what about pppoe-start and all
41 > other commands mentioned in "man pppoe"? I think that
42 > /etc/init.d/net.eth0 works as a wrapper and will invoke the appropriate
43 > commands as needed. Is this correct, and can I safely ignore such
44 > commands?
45
46 A properly configured /etc/conf.d/net will let Gentoo manage invoking all
47 these commands, yes.
50 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
51 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
52 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
53 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh