From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:30:39
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:35:39 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > Firstly, ignore those that want you to buy another piece of hardware to
4 > do something your computer is perfectly capable of doing.
5
6 He's going to need an ADSL modem, so why not get one with a router built
7 in? In fact, here in the UK, it is all but impossible to buy an ethernet
8 ADSL modem without a built in router. I bought the only one I could
9 find, a D-Link, and it was useless, so I went back to the combined unit.
10
11 Over here, ISPs supply a "free" USB modem. The reason it's free is that's
12 a reasonable assessment of its value. So you end up buying an ethernet
13 modem anyway, and that includes a router.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Is that "woof" feed me; "woof" walk me; "woof" there's a burglar? What??