From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:21:57
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > Firstly, ignore those that want you to buy another piece of hardware to do
5 > something your computer is perfectly capable of doing. It's an
6 > unnecessary expense, and while initial configuration *might* be easier
7 > you'll pay later because that "simple" interface doesn't expose enough to
8 > allow you to effectively troubleshoot.
9 >
10 I've been browsing the provider's page, and it happens that you have to
11 buy a connection kit (not very expensive) as part of the contract. It
12 includes a modem+router (Huawei ADSL 2+), so the choice is whether to
13 use it or to buy something better...
14 The other point is important, of course. So, if I understood correctly,
15 the "router" is really a box containing a modem to deal with
16 analogic/digital conversions and a router to allow connection to one or
17 several computers. Right?
18 And the interface via web is always OS-agnostic? Or should I worry that
19 I buy a linux-unfriendly device?
20 >
21 > That said, we are using ADSL for part of our connection here and I believe
22 > we are having a Gentoo machine handle to pppoe connection. I'll see if I
23 > can't get your an actual configuration (minus passwords, of course) and
24 > send it to you privately so you have a concrete, working example of pppoe
25 > in Gentoo.
26 >
27 OK, that would be usefull, whether I use a router or not.
28 > You might also check the Gentoo wiki, it may have more details than the
29 > handbook.
30 >
31 Will do.
32 >
33 > A properly configured /etc/conf.d/net will let Gentoo manage invoking all
34 > these commands, yes.
35 >
36 Thanks.
37 --