From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:50:19
1 I'm about to switch from cable to ADSL anytime soon, and I'm trying to
2 prepare the computer for the big change, given that there will be a time
3 gap without internet access and that I can't expect any support
4 whatsoever from the provider's staff. Of course, I can't do any
5 testing...
6
7 According to
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=3,
9 it seems that it is enough to emerge net-dialup/rp-pppoe, edit
10 /etc/conf.d/net and edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. Is this correct? I mean,
11 what about the contents of /etc/ppp/, like /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf? Aren't
12 we supposed to edit at least the latter?
13 The handbook says the contents of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets must be
14 "username" * "password"
15 but /usr/share/doc/rp-pppoe-3.8/pap-secrets.gz says it must be like
16 bxxxxx@×××××××××.ca * my_password *
17 (i.e., another * and no quotes...)
18 Can someone clarify this point?
19
20 Another matter that is not clear to me: what about pppoe-start and all
21 other commands mentioned in "man pppoe"? I think that
22 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 works as a wrapper and will invoke the appropriate
23 commands as needed. Is this correct, and can I safely ignore such
24 commands?
28 Jorge Almeida
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list