From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:13:13
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:43:26 +0300, Jorge Almeida
2 <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
3
4 > I'm about to switch from cable to ADSL anytime soon, and I'm trying to
5 > prepare the computer for the big change, given that there will be a time
6 > gap without internet access and that I can't expect any support
7 > whatsoever from the provider's staff. Of course, I can't do any
8 > testing...
11 I see many advice to buy an external ADSL modem with built in router on
12 this thread. I agree that it may be a good idea, but nobody (so far) had
13 mentioned 4 subtile points:
14
15 The firewall and router you get with an ADSL modem are essentially free
16 these days. If you need more then what is in the router, nothing prevents
17 you from building a box for traffic monitoring and advanced routing later.
18
19 An ADSL modem with a router immediately provides you with a home network
20 ready to be used with another PC or a guest notebook.
21
22 Since changes to the PC configuration necessary to connect to an ADSL
23 modem with a router are minimal, there should be no time gap without the
24 NET, it should be a period when you have both ADSL and cable.
25
26 You must check if your ADSL modem has a splitter. It may be built-in,
27 coming with the modem, or you may have to buy one (dirt cheap) separately.
30 Andrei Gerasimenko
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list