From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:25:05
1 On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 10:07 +0300, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:43:26 +0300, Jorge Almeida
3 > <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm about to switch from cable to ADSL anytime soon, and I'm trying to
6 > > prepare the computer for the big change, given that there will be a time
7 > > gap without internet access and that I can't expect any support
8 > > whatsoever from the provider's staff. Of course, I can't do any
9 > > testing...
10
11 > The firewall and router you get with an ADSL modem are essentially free
12 > these days. If you need more then what is in the router, nothing prevents
13 > you from building a box for traffic monitoring and advanced routing later.
14
15 But they differ in terms of what 'abilities' they have. Some are 'gaming
16 routers', some have capability to prioritise voip etc.
17 But, all in all, you will lose some amount of flexilibility as opposed
18 to using a pc (soekris eg:) as your 'router' and the modem only as a
19 'modem'
20
21 > Since changes to the PC configuration necessary to connect to an ADSL
22 > modem with a router are minimal, there should be no time gap without the
23 > NET, it should be a period when you have both ADSL and cable.
26 I agree. All you need to know is the setup on how to setup the
27 modem/router to log into your ISP and you're home free.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list