From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: make of gentoo-sources-3.2.12 fails
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:08:37
1 On May 17, 2012 11:19 PM, "Michael Scherer" <a6702894@××××××××××××××.at>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Wed, 16 May 2012 07:41:32 +0700
5 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On May 15, 2012 7:50 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > Maybe like me, you blabber more than you think:
10 > > >
11 > > > http://archives.gentoo.org/stats/gentoo-user-per-year.xml
12 > > >
13 > > > I didn't put them in any certain order but you have fallen a bit
14 > > > tho. Someone put alum in your water or something?
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > I blabbed that much??
18 > >
19 > > Gee... I purposefully stay away from piping up in threads related to
20 > > CUPS, KDE, Gnome, and other desktop-only stuff, and still end up in
21 > > the top 5?? o_O
22 > >
23 > > Rgds,
24 >
25 > OK, OK. May I remind you what started this thread?
26 > If bottom-most is really that important to you, I will
27 > of course comply, though with outlook express which I'm
28 > forced to use most of the time this is a bit tedious.
29 > I had no idea what a flood of angry comments my post
30 > on preferring top-most would start off.
31 >
32 > My original problem (see title) is as yet unsolved. Any one
33 > out there with an idea what might be causing this?
34 > I'm grateful to those 3 or 4 who tried to help, but
35 > by now I'm rather desperate and in the whole of internet
36 > pages there is nothing even coming near.
37 >
38 > bugzilla told me this wasn't a bug and go to the forums.
39 > So you are really my last resort.
40 >
41 > regards, michael
44 Based on the information you've given, there can be only 2 possible cause:
45
46 1. The Makefile is somehow b0rken.
47
48 Evidence : 'ls' instead of 'ld'
49
50 2. Some file creation failed, causing the next step to fail.
51
52 Please post the output of 'df -i'. I once ran out of inodes during kernel
53 compile, even when the filesystem (ext4) was created with IIRC
54 100'000-something inodes (and still having several gigabytes of free
55 space).
56
57 Nowadays, I put /usr/src and portage's tempdir on a reiserfs to prevent
58 running out of inodes.
59
60 3. Something is wrong with your filesystem.
61
62 Especially if /usr/src is *already* on reiserfs. In this case, boot using
63 SystemRescueCD and do an offline fsck on the partition containing /usr/src
64
65 4. Swapfile / Swap partition problems.
66
67 Even with enough RAM, sometimes gcc just wants a swap. Post the output of
68 'swapon -s' please.
69
70 And there's also the possibility that somehow the swap gets b0rked. Try
71 turning off swap, rebuild the swap, and turning it back on.
72
73 Rgds,