From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual booting windows 7, extended partitions, and the mbr
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:48:30
1 At Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:52:14 +0100 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:10:06 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >
5 >> I am now ready to install linux (and grub).
6 >> Can I have all of linux on extended partitions? Something like
7 >>
8 >> 4. Extended
9 >> 5. linux / (a logical partition inside the extended partition)
10 >> 6. linux swap (another logical partition)
11 >> 7. linux lvm2 partition (another logical partition)
12 >> 8. linux small vfat partition (logical)
13 >>
14 >> I am mainly concerned about #5. Googling reveals that you can boot
15 >> from a logical partition but the authors seem to recommend against
16 >> it (without saying why in detail).
17 >
18 > Yes. My Linux only computers have no primary partitions, everything is on
19 > logical partitions and has worked that way for many years without a
20 > single issue.
21
22 Thank you. That is just the endorsement I needed to go ahead.
23
24 allan