From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual booting windows 7, extended partitions, and the mbr
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 09:52:53
1 On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:10:06 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > I am now ready to install linux (and grub).
4 > Can I have all of linux on extended partitions? Something like
5 >
6 > 4. Extended
7 > 5. linux / (a logical partition inside the extended partition)
8 > 6. linux swap (another logical partition)
9 > 7. linux lvm2 partition (another logical partition)
10 > 8. linux small vfat partition (logical)
11 >
12 > I am mainly concerned about #5. Googling reveals that you can boot
13 > from a logical partition but the authors seem to recommend against
14 > it (without saying why in detail).
15
16 Yes. My Linux only computers have no primary partitions, everything is on
17 logical partitions and has worked that way for many years without a
18 single issue.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 WinErr 012: Window closed - Do not look inside