From: arnuld <geek.arnuld@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and KISS ?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:44:53
1 > On 5/18/07, Mauro Faccenda <faccenda@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > AFAIK, Gentoo filosophy is about choices.
4 >
5 > If you want it simple, you can keep it simple. If you don't, you can do it
6 > too.
7
8 oooooh.....
9
10 > And you discovered what was going wrong in your first 10 installations, right?
11 > Can you tell if it was well documentated? If it was your mistake in "jumping"
12 > some topics of the handbook?
13
14 no, it is NOT in the handbook. there were many mistakes. i only remember the 3:
15
16 1.) i had a Serial-ATA drive and AMD64 on ASUS with VIA chipsets.
17 kernel-compilation part of Handbook asks to choose PPP options and MCE
18 features etc etc but it did not tell to select VIA82xx and VIA SATA
19 and VIA PATA options for serial driver. any Serial-ATAhard-disk will
20 not boot properly without them. (of course, others will have some
21 other motherboards, Intel e.g., but we can leave that to the user for
22 finding the specific SATA and PATA drivers inthe kernel.)
23
24 2.) i entered "/dev/hda" instead of "/dev/sda" in "/etc/fstab. my
25 mistake, of course.
26
27 3.) i entered "/dev/sda1 / ext3" when i had reiserfs fro my /. this
28 too was my mistake
31 > I am a experienced Linux user, and I can tell: if not 100%, something very
32 > close of it of the problems I had in Gentoo installation was due to my
33 > mistakes.
34
35 yep, 99% it was *my* mistake.
36
37 > But I don't blame Gentoo. ;)
38
39 hey.. i did not blame Gentoo in my earlier post.
43 http://arnuld.blogspot.com/
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list