From: Mauro Faccenda <faccenda@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: arnuld <geek.arnuld@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and KISS ?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:25:57
1 On Friday 18 May 2007 15:04, arnuld wrote:
2 > OK, i found Gentoo a great incident of my life :-), 10 installations
3 > and on 11th time i knew what went wrong in last 10 times and from
4 > there it never went wrong ;-). i want to use Gentoo but i have one
5 > doubt. i am much more inclined towards using "simple" things, like
6 > simplicity in designing an OS. i see, CRUX and Arch are based on
7 > simplicity, the KISS principle and nothing else.
8 >
9 > i want to know whether Gentoo has "simplicity" or "KISS and clean"
10 > structure in its design as an OS ? this is the only thing that is
11 > stopping me from using Gentoo. Gentoo philosophy says *nothing* about
12 > simplicity, it talks only about customisation. any idea of if KISS is
13 > present in Gentoo design ?
16 > NOTE: i have observed one thing. i have used Gentoo for 2 days only
17 > and now i am trying to use Arch and CRUX but i see, for me, it is
18 > very difficult to use and work with them them since i am getting used
19 > to a lower level of things. happened with anybody ?
20
21 AFAIK, Gentoo filosophy is about choices.
22
23 If you want it simple, you can keep it simple. If you don't, you can do it
24 too.
25
26 And you discovered what was going wrong in your first 10 installations, right?
27 Can you tell if it was well documentated? If it was your mistake in "jumping"
28 some topics of the handbook?
29
30 I am a experienced Linux user, and I can tell: if not 100%, something very
31 close of it of the problems I had in Gentoo installation was due to my
32 mistakes.
33
34 But I don't blame Gentoo. ;)
35