From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:11:02
1 On 20/12/2016 19:50, Heiko Baums wrote:
2 > Am 20.12.2016 um 18:38 schrieb Kai Peter:
3 >> Maybe there are different opinions, but what is cryptic on - as a
4 >> typical one - enp3s0?:
5 >> e - ethernet
6 >> n - network
7 >> p - pci (port) ...
8 >> 3 - ... 3
9 >> s - slot ...
10 >> 0 - ... 0
11 >
12 > Think about that yourself again and compare it to - eth0:
13 >
14 > eth - ethernet
15 > 0 - 1st card
16
17 No. This is incorrect.
18
19 eth0 is the first card found by software, and not always the one you
20 think it is.
21
22 Off the top of my head, a few examples of how this can be a problem:
23
24 - pull and reseat nic cards in a server, junior flunky who does it
25 forgets which card went where and puts them back in the wrong slots
26 - an update to PCI code does discovery ever so sightly differently
27 - plug in a USB wireless or wired nic, can you absolutely *guarantee*
28 that any kernel will *always* find a PCI nic before a USB one?
29 - virtualized servers, where I can (and very much do) add, remove and
30 edit virtual nics all the time. Now which one is the first?
33 So yes, eth0 is far easier for humans to remember, it's also a fragile
34 solution. On a desktop with only one nic all the above problems never
35 happen. But Linux desktops and single-nic servers are not the target
36 market for Linux, and hasn't been for a very long time. The real target
37 is virtual machines, big iron, and embedded devices plus Android.
38
39 Oddly enough, my 200+ FreeBSD machines all tend to use a naming
40 convention like enp3s0? for nics and disks. Doesn't cause any issues in
41 that world.
42
43 In all these threads you participate in recently, I'm not seeing any
44 actual real facts from you, or specifics. All I see is you howling
45 (louder than Poetering!) on the other end of an email address about how
46 you don't like changes that are happening.
47
48 Actually, I think you don't have much clue about the real world and what
49 it takes to run real fleets of machines.
50
51 So my advice to you is to put up, or shut up.
55 > I don't think I need to explain which of both is a lot more complicated
56 > and cryptic.
57 >
58 >> Just an example. The real mess with systemd is that it violates the good
59 >> ol' Unix culture. Especially by "capturing" udev. Thanks to Gentoo for
60 >> eudev!!!
61 >
62 > That's also true but not the only problem with systemd.
63 >
64 > Heiko Baums
69 Alan McKinnon
70 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com