From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Crossover Office and Word 2007
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:47:14
1 On 2009-01-27, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 January 2009 06:29:55 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2009-01-26, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > These are shared documents. I can't just change what they are
5 >> > based on my own preferences.
6 >> >
7 >> > I need an app that WRITES .docx. If Office 2007 is the only
8 >> > one that does it, so be it. But a workaround or another way to
9 >> > skin this cat is not what I need here.
10 >>
11 >> In my experience, finding an app that writes .docx isn't going
12 >> to be good enough if the documents are shared. If you're
13 >> exporting or importing something just one time, you can get
14 >> usually away with it after some minor fixing afterwards.
15 >>
16 >> But if it's a shared document and needs to be edited multiple
17 >> times by multiple people, you just can't get away with using
18 >> two different apps -- hell, not even two different versions of
19 >> MSWord. If you go back and forth many times, the document will
20 >> steadily "deteriorate" with each transition from one app to
21 >> another. At least that's my experience.
22 >
23 > That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. Thanks
24 > for sharing though :-)
25
26 I realize I'm arguing a moot point, but using something like
27 .docx for shared documents that need to be maintained by
28 multiple people for a long time (more than a month or two) is a
29 dead awful choice.
30
31 A plain ascii text file is probably the best choice for
32 portability and longevity. However, that suggestion's probably
33 not going to fly because it severly limits the amount of time
34 you can waste picking out eye-shatteringly ugly font
35 combinations and f*&king up margins, gutters, leading, and all
36 the other things people like to mess up rather than doing real
37 work.
38
39 My next choice would probably be something like RTF. If you
40 get into a jam it's mostly-human-readible. If you limit
41 yourself to simple formatting features it's about as portable
42 and robust as anything you can find that allows the inclusion
43 of graphics. The support for vector graphics (e.g. SVG) is
44 pretty slim, but bit-mapped graphics support works pretty well.
45
46 HTML would seem to be a good choice as well, but even more than
47 RTF you've got to limit what features you use. The only way to
48 keep the file from deteriorating into a mess is to avoid any of
49 "WYSIWYG" HTML editors.
52 Grant Edwards grante Yow! does your DRESSING
53 at ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?
54 visi.com