From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Crossover Office and Word 2007
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:16:34
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-27, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 06:29:55 Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2009-01-26, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> > These are shared documents. I can't just change what they are
6 >>> > based on my own preferences.
7 >>> >
8 >>> > I need an app that WRITES .docx. If Office 2007 is the only
9 >>> > one that does it, so be it. But a workaround or another way to
10 >>> > skin this cat is not what I need here.
11 >>>
12 >>> In my experience, finding an app that writes .docx isn't going
13 >>> to be good enough if the documents are shared. If you're
14 >>> exporting or importing something just one time, you can get
15 >>> usually away with it after some minor fixing afterwards.
16 >>>
17 >>> But if it's a shared document and needs to be edited multiple
18 >>> times by multiple people, you just can't get away with using
19 >>> two different apps -- hell, not even two different versions of
20 >>> MSWord. If you go back and forth many times, the document will
21 >>> steadily "deteriorate" with each transition from one app to
22 >>> another. At least that's my experience.
23 >>
24 >> That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. Thanks
25 >> for sharing though :-)
26 >
27 > I realize I'm arguing a moot point, but using something like
28 > .docx for shared documents that need to be maintained by
29 > multiple people for a long time (more than a month or two) is a
30 > dead awful choice.
31 >
32 > A plain ascii text file is probably the best choice for
33 > portability and longevity. However, that suggestion's probably
34 > not going to fly because it severly limits the amount of time
35 > you can waste picking out eye-shatteringly ugly font
36 > combinations and f*&king up margins, gutters, leading, and all
37 > the other things people like to mess up rather than doing real
38 > work.
39 >
40 > My next choice would probably be something like RTF. If you
41 > get into a jam it's mostly-human-readible. If you limit
42 > yourself to simple formatting features it's about as portable
43 > and robust as anything you can find that allows the inclusion
44 > of graphics. The support for vector graphics (e.g. SVG) is
45 > pretty slim, but bit-mapped graphics support works pretty well.
46 >
47 > HTML would seem to be a good choice as well, but even more than
48 > RTF you've got to limit what features you use. The only way to
49 > keep the file from deteriorating into a mess is to avoid any of
50 > "WYSIWYG" HTML editors.
51
52 Google Apps is great for sharing documents.. You can even have
53 multiple people editing in real-time and see each other's work. It's
54 kind of fun, and all you need is a web browser.
55
56 Again, irrelevant to the OP since he can't change his company's
57 policy... but good to keep in mind for anyone who can :)
58
59 Paul