From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Crossover Office and Word 2007
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:31:02
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 15:16, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2009-01-27, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 06:29:55 Grant Edwards wrote:
6 >>>> On 2009-01-26, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> > These are shared documents. I can't just change what they are
8 >>>> > based on my own preferences.
9 >>>> >
10 >>>> > I need an app that WRITES .docx. If Office 2007 is the only
11 >>>> > one that does it, so be it. But a workaround or another way to
12 >>>> > skin this cat is not what I need here.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> In my experience, finding an app that writes .docx isn't going
15 >>>> to be good enough if the documents are shared. If you're
16 >>>> exporting or importing something just one time, you can get
17 >>>> usually away with it after some minor fixing afterwards.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> But if it's a shared document and needs to be edited multiple
20 >>>> times by multiple people, you just can't get away with using
21 >>>> two different apps -- hell, not even two different versions of
22 >>>> MSWord. If you go back and forth many times, the document will
23 >>>> steadily "deteriorate" with each transition from one app to
24 >>>> another. At least that's my experience.
25 >>>
26 >>> That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. Thanks
27 >>> for sharing though :-)
28 >>
29 >> I realize I'm arguing a moot point, but using something like
30 >> .docx for shared documents that need to be maintained by
31 >> multiple people for a long time (more than a month or two) is a
32 >> dead awful choice.
33 >>
34 >> A plain ascii text file is probably the best choice for
35 >> portability and longevity. However, that suggestion's probably
36 >> not going to fly because it severly limits the amount of time
37 >> you can waste picking out eye-shatteringly ugly font
38 >> combinations and f*&king up margins, gutters, leading, and all
39 >> the other things people like to mess up rather than doing real
40 >> work.
41 >>
42 >> My next choice would probably be something like RTF. If you
43 >> get into a jam it's mostly-human-readible. If you limit
44 >> yourself to simple formatting features it's about as portable
45 >> and robust as anything you can find that allows the inclusion
46 >> of graphics. The support for vector graphics (e.g. SVG) is
47 >> pretty slim, but bit-mapped graphics support works pretty well.
48 >>
49 >> HTML would seem to be a good choice as well, but even more than
50 >> RTF you've got to limit what features you use. The only way to
51 >> keep the file from deteriorating into a mess is to avoid any of
52 >> "WYSIWYG" HTML editors.
53 >
54 > Google Apps is great for sharing documents.. You can even have
55 > multiple people editing in real-time and see each other's work. It's
56 > kind of fun, and all you need is a web browser.
57 >
58 > Again, irrelevant to the OP since he can't change his company's
59 > policy... but good to keep in mind for anyone who can :)
62 I had this problem a while ago. I'm using CrossOffice with Word 2000
63 and needed to open and change some docx.
64 Microsoft launched a compatibility pack for Office 2000, it works
65 great, I'm using it, you may find more info and some tips here:
66
67 http://stuffem.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/quick-tip-reading-office-2007-docx-files/
70 Daniel da Veiga