From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Crossover Office and Word 2007
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:38:50
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Daniel da Veiga
2 <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 15:16, Paul Hartman
4 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On 2009-01-27, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 06:29:55 Grant Edwards wrote:
8 >>>>> On 2009-01-26, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>>> > These are shared documents. I can't just change what they are
10 >>>>> > based on my own preferences.
11 >>>>> >
12 >>>>> > I need an app that WRITES .docx. If Office 2007 is the only
13 >>>>> > one that does it, so be it. But a workaround or another way to
14 >>>>> > skin this cat is not what I need here.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> In my experience, finding an app that writes .docx isn't going
17 >>>>> to be good enough if the documents are shared. If you're
18 >>>>> exporting or importing something just one time, you can get
19 >>>>> usually away with it after some minor fixing afterwards.
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> But if it's a shared document and needs to be edited multiple
22 >>>>> times by multiple people, you just can't get away with using
23 >>>>> two different apps -- hell, not even two different versions of
24 >>>>> MSWord. If you go back and forth many times, the document will
25 >>>>> steadily "deteriorate" with each transition from one app to
26 >>>>> another. At least that's my experience.
27 >>>>
28 >>>> That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. Thanks
29 >>>> for sharing though :-)
30 >>>
31 >>> I realize I'm arguing a moot point, but using something like
32 >>> .docx for shared documents that need to be maintained by
33 >>> multiple people for a long time (more than a month or two) is a
34 >>> dead awful choice.
35 >>>
36 >>> A plain ascii text file is probably the best choice for
37 >>> portability and longevity. However, that suggestion's probably
38 >>> not going to fly because it severly limits the amount of time
39 >>> you can waste picking out eye-shatteringly ugly font
40 >>> combinations and f*&king up margins, gutters, leading, and all
41 >>> the other things people like to mess up rather than doing real
42 >>> work.
43 >>>
44 >>> My next choice would probably be something like RTF. If you
45 >>> get into a jam it's mostly-human-readible. If you limit
46 >>> yourself to simple formatting features it's about as portable
47 >>> and robust as anything you can find that allows the inclusion
48 >>> of graphics. The support for vector graphics (e.g. SVG) is
49 >>> pretty slim, but bit-mapped graphics support works pretty well.
50 >>>
51 >>> HTML would seem to be a good choice as well, but even more than
52 >>> RTF you've got to limit what features you use. The only way to
53 >>> keep the file from deteriorating into a mess is to avoid any of
54 >>> "WYSIWYG" HTML editors.
55 >>
56 >> Google Apps is great for sharing documents.. You can even have
57 >> multiple people editing in real-time and see each other's work. It's
58 >> kind of fun, and all you need is a web browser.
59 >>
60 >> Again, irrelevant to the OP since he can't change his company's
61 >> policy... but good to keep in mind for anyone who can :)
64 > I had this problem a while ago. I'm using CrossOffice with Word 2000
65 > and needed to open and change some docx.
66 > Microsoft launched a compatibility pack for Office 2000, it works
67 > great, I'm using it, you may find more info and some tips here:
68 >
69 > http://stuffem.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/quick-tip-reading-office-2007-docx-files/
70
71 Of course the compatiblity pack has the same problem, it does not
72 magically give older Office the new features. If someone using Office
73 2007 actually uses new 2007 features, they will be lost when you open
74 in the older Office version.
75
76 On the other hand, if the person who created the document isn't using
77 any 2007-exclusive features, they should not use the 2007 format, and
78 then you could avoid this whole nightmare in the first place.
79
80 Paul