From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 23:26:35
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-27 02:14, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> I really think that's the crux of the matter Pandou: udev/systemd
5 >> serves to the wants of the many. The eudev fork serves to the wants of
6 >
7 > systemd+udev serves the "large mass" (users of mainly Fedora and other
8 > distros using systemd) that doesn't care/know computers.
9
10 Well, yeah, that's the point. I want to install Gentoo in my mother's
11 PC, and never have to go to her house because someting broke.
12
13 >> a very few which really don't want an initramfs, when it has a lot of
14 >> technical advantages. It has some problems, of course, but we can
15 >> solve those, and solve the problem *in the general case*. Which is the
16 >> one that it's important ant interesting.
17 >
18 > It's unimportant and uninteresting on the terms that
19 > Poettering/Sievers/Greg KH put forward, for us that wants control and
20 > does not want an all singing and dancing system (incl. "kitchen sink").
21 > In my opinion the init system should be completely independent of the
22 > kernel with a well defined, generic, interface so that the user can
23 > choose and pick whatever pieces he/she wishes to run his system. Think
24 > "Lego" (as in small, well defined pieces that fit together in any way
25 > the user sees fit)...
26
27 And how's that changed? If you want control, you will *always* have
28 control. The source code is out there; what more control do you need?
29
30 >> my wishing luck to the eudev fork (which, BTW, Greg also did). The few
31 >
32 > The way I read Greg's "good luck" was that it had quite a bit of a
33 > sarcastic tone... Was there really any need for him to say anything at
34 > all? I've previously had a lot of respect for Greg but this made me
35 > think quite a lot less of him...
36
37 That's how you choose to interpret it, and I'm pretty sure it was not
38 the way Greg said it.
39
40 >> of us who *dare* to praise udev/systemd get an incredible amount of
41 >> crap for it. We are nothing but fanbois or, in your words, "udev has
42 >> become like the cosmos: everything there is, and ever shall be."
43 >> Really? I didn't knew that.
44 >
45 > You really sound like a fanboy... And I don't mean that in a derogatory
46 > way; it's just how I see your writing...
47
48 It does sound derogatory...
49
50 >> Maybe we are doing it wrong. But as far as i can see, we are only
51 >> expressing our opinion on technical grounds. We are not calling names
52 >
53 > Your opinions (technical or not) doesn't matter to me since (it seems)
54 > you have a very different goal than me with your system. I want you to
55 > enjoy whatever system you use but you shouldn't try to force that same
56 > system on to me. In that regard I see the eudev fork as a saviour.
57
58 What *I* am forcing on *anyone*? How could *I* force *anything* on
59 *anyone*? I'm just stating why I believe udev/systemd is a nice
60 solution to the general problem. That's all: I'm not a developer, I'm
61 not a distro planer; I'm not in any way capable to enforce anything on
62 anyone.
63
64 And I, if I'm allowed to repeat it, have never called names on anyone.
65 I'm just stating my opinion; how could you twist that into the idea
66 that I'm trying "to force that same system on to me"? Really?
67
68 > These are the technical grounds that I've seen you state:
69 >
70 > * fast boot time
71 > Irrelevant, BIOS/UEFI/card firmware takes longer time than booting to
72 > XDM for me. The few seconds that it takes to boot from grub to login is
73 > of no matter (to me).
74
75 It matters to me. A lot. Specially in my laptop (I follow
76 vanilla-sources unstable, so I reboot relatively often), in my media
77 center (same reasons). In my servers certainly the hardware
78 initialization phase is longer; but (IMO) that makes even more
79 important the speed gains from grub to userspace.
80
81 Please, understand that my above (↑) reasons doesn't mean I don't care
82 of yours, or that you are wrong. It only means that our reasons are
83 different, and then perhaps the proper thing to do is to agree to
84 disagree.
85
86 > * parallel service startup
87 > Nice to have but still irrelevant, see above. Sequential is also
88 > preferred from a trouble shooting perspective. Furthermore I like having
89 > the ability to stop a particular daemon if there something that needs
90 > fixing (pushing "I" when booting).
91
92 Relevant for me, see above. And that's another thing I hate about the
93 shell init scripts; problems get "workarounded" instead of properly
94 fixed. If there is a problem at boot time *it should be fixed where
95 the problem lives*, not "workarounded" with shell hackery.
96
97 Again, please understand that my above (↑) reasons doesn't mean I
98 don't care of yours, or that you are wrong. It only means that our
99 reasons are different, and then perhaps the proper thing to do is to
100 agree to disagree.
101
102 > * "simple service unit files"
103 > Simplicity is fine but to accomplish the same in your simple "service"
104 > file as in the example you brought forward (sshd) you need to hide a lot
105 > of stuff elsewhere. Not for me thanks, I'm a control freak.
106
107 I'm not; let the machines do the work. The least I have to think about
108 my system, the better; I care only for it to work.
109
110 Again, please understand that my above (↑) reasons doesn't mean I
111 don't care about yours, or that you are wrong. It only means that our
112 reasons are different, and then perhaps the proper thing to do is to
113 agree to disagree.
114
115 > * good documentation
116 > I haven't read it so I won't touch this. Not a technical point though,
117 > more of an opinion. Although I agree that good documentation is very
118 > nice to have.
119
120 Common ground.
121
122 > * "Really good in-site customization"
123 > If I choose to upgrade a daemon, I should be interested in what changes,
124 > if any, that brings in configuration in order to not have any surprises
125 > later. If you think that's a good thing, that really sounds like you
126 > would be doing the OpenRC equivalent of:
127 > 'etc-update --automode -5'
128
129 But that's the beauty of systemd; I don't have to do *anything*. If
130 the original unit file gets updated, my customization gets updated to.
131 Again, I don't need to do anything.
132
133 Again, please understand that my above (↑) reasons doesn't mean I
134 don't care about yours, or that you are wrong. It only means that our
135 reasons are different, and then perhaps the proper thing to do is to
136 agree to disagree.
137
138 > * control groups
139 > As I understand it, this depends on someone writing config files for the
140 > individual daemons. Noone is stopping Gentoo devs or anyone else from
141 > writing such. And I would, again, prefer to go through a good manual or
142 > a "howto" and do it myself so that I can understand the consequences, if
143 > I would want it.
144
145 It's a little more difficult than "writing config files", in OpenRC's
146 case. To begin with, you need to check if there is cgroup support.
147
148 Again, please understand that my above (↑) reasons doesn't mean I
149 don't care about yours, or that you are wrong. It only means that our
150 reasons are different, and then perhaps the proper thing to do is to
151 agree to disagree.
152
153 > * unification
154 > I've tried quite a few distros over the years (starting with Redhat in
155 > the late 90'ies) and Gentoos OpenRC is by far the most sane system I've
156 > come across. Never going back to Redhat hell thank you! Standardizing
157 > the interfaces is fine but it's not ok to force a whole "kitchen and
158 > sink" solution in order to "satisfy" as many as possible. This is not
159 > the Gentoo way, as I understand it. Gentoo is all about choice.
160
161 And who has taken any choice from you? Even if systemd became the
162 default init system in Gentoo, you will be able to install OpenRC
163 always. Even if there is no ebuild, you'll be *always* able to do
164 "./configure && make && make install". Nobody is taking choices from
165 anyone. I just want udev/systemd to work fine in Gentoo (which it
166 does) and not having to install OpenRC if I don't need it (which I
167 need to use my overlay right now).
168
169 I just want *my* choice to be a 1st class citizen in Gentoo; right now
170 it's not. If Gentoo is (as you say) "about choice" (which, BTW, I
171 don't agree 100%), then I should be able to use systemd without OpenRC
172 without me needing to use an overlay, shouldn't I?
173
174 Again, please understand that my above (↑) reasons doesn't mean I
175 don't care about yours, or that you are wrong. It only means that our
176 reasons are different, and then perhaps the proper thing to do is to
177 agree to disagree.
178
179 > * "you tell the daemon *what* to do, not *how* to do it"
180 > It's good if you don't want to learn about what things you install and
181 > understand what the consequences are of different choices, in the config
182 > files. I run very few daemons on my desktop machine so it's not so time
183 > consuming to read up on/fix things etc. If I ever were to run a full
184 > blown server (esp. connected to the "net") with lots of daemons I would
185 > be very hesitant to use any pre-configurations, seems suicidal to me.
186 > The only usage I see here of "declarative" scripts are when you don't
187 > care about what the machine is doing.
188
189 I think you are gravely mistaken in this last point: you can learn
190 *all* the things you can from systemd as in OpenRC. The source is out
191 there, nothing is "hidding".
192
193 But, one last time, probably the best thing to do is to agree to
194 disagree; your answers to my technical points are all basically "I
195 don't wanna/I don't like it/I don't care about it"... which is
196 perfectly fine, but I can retort each and everyone with a mirror
197 argument.
198
199 So, yeah, let's just agree to disagree
200
201 Regards.
202 --
203 Canek Peláez Valdés