From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:02:41
1 On 2012-12-27 02:14, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > I really think that's the crux of the matter Pandou: udev/systemd
4 > serves to the wants of the many. The eudev fork serves to the wants of
5
6 systemd+udev serves the "large mass" (users of mainly Fedora and other
7 distros using systemd) that doesn't care/know computers.
8
9 > a very few which really don't want an initramfs, when it has a lot of
10 > technical advantages. It has some problems, of course, but we can
11 > solve those, and solve the problem *in the general case*. Which is the
12 > one that it's important ant interesting.
13
14 It's unimportant and uninteresting on the terms that
15 Poettering/Sievers/Greg KH put forward, for us that wants control and
16 does not want an all singing and dancing system (incl. "kitchen sink").
17 In my opinion the init system should be completely independent of the
18 kernel with a well defined, generic, interface so that the user can
19 choose and pick whatever pieces he/she wishes to run his system. Think
20 "Lego" (as in small, well defined pieces that fit together in any way
21 the user sees fit)...
22
23 > my wishing luck to the eudev fork (which, BTW, Greg also did). The few
24
25 The way I read Greg's "good luck" was that it had quite a bit of a
26 sarcastic tone... Was there really any need for him to say anything at
27 all? I've previously had a lot of respect for Greg but this made me
28 think quite a lot less of him...
29
30 > of us who *dare* to praise udev/systemd get an incredible amount of
31 > crap for it. We are nothing but fanbois or, in your words, "udev has
32 > become like the cosmos: everything there is, and ever shall be."
33 > Really? I didn't knew that.
34
35 You really sound like a fanboy... And I don't mean that in a derogatory
36 way; it's just how I see your writing...
37
38 > Maybe we are doing it wrong. But as far as i can see, we are only
39 > expressing our opinion on technical grounds. We are not calling names
40
41 Your opinions (technical or not) doesn't matter to me since (it seems)
42 you have a very different goal than me with your system. I want you to
43 enjoy whatever system you use but you shouldn't try to force that same
44 system on to me. In that regard I see the eudev fork as a saviour.
45
46 These are the technical grounds that I've seen you state:
47
48 * fast boot time
49 Irrelevant, BIOS/UEFI/card firmware takes longer time than booting to
50 XDM for me. The few seconds that it takes to boot from grub to login is
51 of no matter (to me).
52
53 * parallel service startup
54 Nice to have but still irrelevant, see above. Sequential is also
55 preferred from a trouble shooting perspective. Furthermore I like having
56 the ability to stop a particular daemon if there something that needs
57 fixing (pushing "I" when booting).
58
59 * "simple service unit files"
60 Simplicity is fine but to accomplish the same in your simple "service"
61 file as in the example you brought forward (sshd) you need to hide a lot
62 of stuff elsewhere. Not for me thanks, I'm a control freak.
63
64 * good documentation
65 I haven't read it so I won't touch this. Not a technical point though,
66 more of an opinion. Although I agree that good documentation is very
67 nice to have.
68
69 * "Really good in-site customization"
70 If I choose to upgrade a daemon, I should be interested in what changes,
71 if any, that brings in configuration in order to not have any surprises
72 later. If you think that's a good thing, that really sounds like you
73 would be doing the OpenRC equivalent of:
74 'etc-update --automode -5'
75
76 * control groups
77 As I understand it, this depends on someone writing config files for the
78 individual daemons. Noone is stopping Gentoo devs or anyone else from
79 writing such. And I would, again, prefer to go through a good manual or
80 a "howto" and do it myself so that I can understand the consequences, if
81 I would want it.
82
83 * unification
84 I've tried quite a few distros over the years (starting with Redhat in
85 the late 90'ies) and Gentoos OpenRC is by far the most sane system I've
86 come across. Never going back to Redhat hell thank you! Standardizing
87 the interfaces is fine but it's not ok to force a whole "kitchen and
88 sink" solution in order to "satisfy" as many as possible. This is not
89 the Gentoo way, as I understand it. Gentoo is all about choice.
90
91 * "you tell the daemon *what* to do, not *how* to do it"
92 It's good if you don't want to learn about what things you install and
93 understand what the consequences are of different choices, in the config
94 files. I run very few daemons on my desktop machine so it's not so time
95 consuming to read up on/fix things etc. If I ever were to run a full
96 blown server (esp. connected to the "net") with lots of daemons I would
97 be very hesitant to use any pre-configurations, seems suicidal to me.
98 The only usage I see here of "declarative" scripts are when you don't
99 care about what the machine is doing.
100
101 Best regards
102
103 Peter K