From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice 2.0 - compiling or binary
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:21:23
1 Ernie Schroder wrote:
2
3 >Actually Neil, you're right, the 8 hours that it takes to build OO is not down
4 >time, but try playing poker on-line while it's running. I can never remember
5 >to do those long builds while I sleep so I end up, in this case, and for
6 >firefox, going for the immediate gratification.
9 Allow me to help make it so you won't even know it is compiling. I
10 wouldn't want it to slow down your playing poker. ;) Put this in
11 make.conf:
12
13 >#
14 ># PORTAGE_NICENESS provides a default increment to emerge's niceness level.
15 ># Note: This is an increment. Running emerge in a niced environment will
16 ># reduce it further. Default is unset.
17 >PORTAGE_NICENESS=1
18 >
19 1 or above is fine. My KDE runs at 0 so it gets enough priority to make
20 it seem it is not compiling anything at all.
21
22 Someone mentioned running a CPU at 95 % before. I run folding on all my
23 rigs so it is going to run anyway whether I am compiling OO.O or not.
24
25 Dale:-)
28 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list