From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:51:40
1 On 12/08/2013 12:19, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-11 2:38 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 11/08/13 21:13, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> There was a blocker (small b) because virtual/udev needed sys-fs/udev
5 >>> and
6 >>> that gave a blocker that uninstalled eudev.
7 >
8 >> I believe it's 'b' if user doesn't have sys-fs/eudev in
9 >> /var/lib/portage/world, but 'B' if he does
10 >> As in, difference is soft and hard blocker depending if the wanted
11 >> implementation is recorded in the world file or not
12 >
13 > Well, in my opinion, that just seems wrong. Why does it prefer udev, if
14 > *neither* is in the world file?
15 >
16 > In my opinion, it should be a 'B' blocker in both cases. It absolutely
17 > should not automatically uninstall eudev and install udev, potentially
18 > leaving the system in an unbootable state.
19 >
20 > But... as long as the conflict is there (for those who actually look
21 > for such things) and I can deal with it appropriately - ie, if a small b
22 > blocker and it wants to remove eudev and install udev, I just wait until
23 > ...
24 >
25 > Hmmm... so is it eudev that would need to be updated to 'fix' this? Or
26 > virtual/udev? Or both?
29 It has to do with how virtuals work.
30
31 If you have the virtual in @world, and none of the packages that satisfy
32 the virtual are in world, then portage is free to do whatever it deems
33 correct to satisfy the virtual. This is what it did, and it is rather
34 important you understand why this is so.
35
36 If you have the virtual in world, and one of the packages that satisfy
37 the virtual are in world, then portage will not uninstall that package
38 and instead obey your instruction.
39
40 Portage does not work according to whatever we think ought to be
41 logical. Portage works according to the PMS spec. In this case, it did
42 what you asked, which is not what you wanted.
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com