From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:38:34
1 On 2013-08-12 6:48 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/08/2013 12:19, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Hmmm... so is it eudev that would need to be updated to 'fix' this? Or
4 >> virtual/udev? Or both?
5
6 > It has to do with how virtuals work.
7 >
8 > If you have the virtual in @world, and none of the packages that satisfy
9 > the virtual are in world, then portage is free to do whatever it deems
10 > correct to satisfy the virtual. This is what it did, and it is rather
11 > important you understand why this is so.
12 >
13 > If you have the virtual in world, and one of the packages that satisfy
14 > the virtual are in world, then portage will not uninstall that package
15 > and instead obey your instruction.
16
17 Ok, I'm getting there...
18
19 I just confirmed that while I do have sys-fs/udev in world, but I *do*
20 have virtual/udev.
21
22 So, based on what Samuli said about sys-fs/udev being the gentoo default
23 (where is this documented by the way?), seems the simplest thing to do
24 is add sys-fs/eudev to @world, but is this really the most appropriate
25 'gentoo way'?
26
27 Or, maybe just remove virtual/udev from @world? Or both (add
28 sys-fs/eudev, remove virtual/udev)?
29
30 Actually, since udev/eudev are more appropriately @system packages, it
31 would make more sense to add them there - except @system is defined not
32 by a file but by the profile, and so would require a USE flag to define
33 this, but if I recall, adding a USE flag for this was decided against
34 (why I don't know)...