From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:20:21
1 On 12/08/2013 13:37, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-12 6:48 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 12/08/2013 12:19, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Hmmm... so is it eudev that would need to be updated to 'fix' this? Or
5 >>> virtual/udev? Or both?
6 >
7 >> It has to do with how virtuals work.
8 >>
9 >> If you have the virtual in @world, and none of the packages that satisfy
10 >> the virtual are in world, then portage is free to do whatever it deems
11 >> correct to satisfy the virtual. This is what it did, and it is rather
12 >> important you understand why this is so.
13 >>
14 >> If you have the virtual in world, and one of the packages that satisfy
15 >> the virtual are in world, then portage will not uninstall that package
16 >> and instead obey your instruction.
17 >
18 > Ok, I'm getting there...
19 >
20 > I just confirmed that while I do have sys-fs/udev in world, but I *do*
21 > have virtual/udev.
22 >
23 > So, based on what Samuli said about sys-fs/udev being the gentoo default
24 > (where is this documented by the way?), seems the simplest thing to do
25 > is add sys-fs/eudev to @world, but is this really the most appropriate
26 > 'gentoo way'?
27 >
28 > Or, maybe just remove virtual/udev from @world? Or both (add
29 > sys-fs/eudev, remove virtual/udev)?
30 >
31 > Actually, since udev/eudev are more appropriately @system packages,
34 This is incorrect. @system is the minimal set of packages for a Gentoo
35 system to work at all, and consists mostly of baselayout, toolchain and
36 various packages used by the toolchain.
37
38 A Gentoo system does NOT have to have a device manager to function, you
39 can accomplish that easily with static device nodes.
40
41 What is in @system is virtual/dev-manager which has this RDEPEND:
42
43 RDEPEND="|| (
44 virtual/udev
45 sys-apps/busybox[mdev]
46 sys-fs/devfsd
47 sys-fs/static-dev
48 sys-freebsd/freebsd-sbin
49 )"
50
51 So you are free to install any of those methods you choose and thereby
52 have working device nodes.
53
54 To back up what Samuli said, if you want to GUARANTEE a certain device
55 manager then you need to put it in @world, just like you already do for
56 all the other packages you have. udev is in no way special in this regard.
59 > it
60 > would make more sense to add them there - except @system is defined not
61 > by a file but by the profile, and so would require a USE flag to define
62 > this, but if I recall, adding a USE flag for this was decided against
63 > (why I don't know)...
68 Alan McKinnon
69 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com