From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: How does kernel determine drive order?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:08:06
1 On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:43 -0600, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2 > Jarry wrote:
3 > > Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
4 > >> How does the kernel (2.6.22) determine the order of SATA drives (sda,
5 > >> sdb, etc.) when it boots up?
6 > >
7 > > I just checked my computer, and sda is the drive plugged in
8 > > the first sata-port, and sdb the one in the second port
9 > > (according to the info in motherboard manual).
10 > >
11 > > Maybe it is something similar as with p-ata drives, where hda
12 > > is always the master drive on the first pata channel...
13 > >
14 > > Jarry
15 > For my mobo (Asus A8N-SLI Premium), sda is plugged into SATA slot 3.
16 > Interestingly, it is NOT the first drive listed in the BIOS either.
17 >
18 > I think, but not sure, that the kernel looks at the buses to determine
19 > the drive order.
20 >
21 > Maybe someone can confirm?
22
23 >From what I've heard/read, you cannot guarantee device ordering of
24 SCSI(-like) devices. It's recommended that you use disk labels/UUIDs
25 (and initramfs/initrd for / device).
26
27 My BIOS actually lets you select with drives show up in the BIOS as well
28 as what order. On one machine I have 8 drives but only 1 configured in
29 the BIOS (the boot drive). However at the Linux level it shows up
30 as /dev/sdj or something like that. But I think if I had a usb stick in
31 plugged in while it's being booted it might show up as something
32 different.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list