From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: How does kernel determine drive order?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:52:55
1 Jarry wrote:
2 > Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
3 >> How does the kernel (2.6.22) determine the order of SATA drives (sda,
4 >> sdb, etc.) when it boots up?
5 >
6 > I just checked my computer, and sda is the drive plugged in
7 > the first sata-port, and sdb the one in the second port
8 > (according to the info in motherboard manual).
9 >
10 > Maybe it is something similar as with p-ata drives, where hda
11 > is always the master drive on the first pata channel...
12 >
13 > Jarry
14 For my mobo (Asus A8N-SLI Premium), sda is plugged into SATA slot 3.
15 Interestingly, it is NOT the first drive listed in the BIOS either.
16
17 I think, but not sure, that the kernel looks at the buses to determine
18 the drive order.
19
20 Maybe someone can confirm?
21
22 Tony
25 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
26 -- Benjamin Franklin
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list