From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] fsck.fat 4.1 - File system couldn't be fixed [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 03:07:34
1 On 12/12/2020 03:40 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 14:36:51 -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> I wipe the /boot, reinstall kernel, initframes, grub.
5 >> The system boots, I can login as root but X is not running,
6 >> the command is displaying: "(none) /#"
7 >>
8 >> When I try to start the network I get:
9 >> fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) open: no such file or directory
10 >> Filesystems couldn't be fixed
11 >> ERROR: fsck failed to start
12 >>
13 >> It seems to me "/" file system mount in "read only" mode.
14 >> When I try to emerge anything I get: /var/log/emerge.log Read-only file
15 >> system.
16 >
17 > Have you actually booted fully? This looks like the situation when
18 > mounting root fails and the initramfs drops you to a console? Does mount
19 > show that you partitions from fstab have mounted?
20
21 A lot of folks get hurt over this bug, I'm supersized that nobody
22 reported it yet that fsck.fat 4.1 has bugs.
23
24 Symptoms:
25 One day you end up with command line login:
26
27 (none) login:
28
29 Your root file system will be mounted as RO and only way to access your
30 system is to boot-strap it.
31
32 Recompiling anything (emerge -e system) will not help.
33 The screen output fly by so fast that you need to have a high speed
34 camera to catch the scrolling line.
35 What help me is in "/" running:
36 touch forcefsck
37
38 It will force the system to run a check on all file systems in fstab.
39 This will slow down the system, so you will notice that error message:
40
41 fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24) open: no such file or directory
42
43 There is a similar related bug filed about it (but I don't know why is
44 it marked resolved)
45 https://bugs.gentoo.org/306119
46
47 SOLUTION (workaround):
48
49 if you have UEFI system most likely your "boot" partition is some form
50 of "vfat"
51 if you have in fstab:
52
53 LABEL=boot /boot vfat noauto,noatime 1 2
54
55 Change it to:
56 LABEL=boot /boot vfat noauto,noatime 0 0
57
58 The force check of vfat system will skip and your system will boot normally.
59
60 My permanent solution will be to go back to old reliable "ext2 as boot".
61 Most newer BIOS system have CSM (compatibility support module under
62 Boot menu) turning it ON will allow the boot partition to be in "ext2",
63 it will avoid future problems with "fsck.fat"
64
65 Running "boot" in ext2 I don't need "initramfs" either.