From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg 7.0+composite+radeon OSS drivers+radeon9200se : X cpu usage sometimes rockets to > 80%
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:48:31
1 > If you *really* want eye candy, try using beryl and emerald from the
2 > portage-xgl layman overlay. ;-)
3
4 Yes, I investigated it. But it seems my card is not so well supported by
5 XGL (If you have different experiences let me know) and XGL eye candy
6 is (still) not what I was looking for, at least as for what I've seen
7 (I'd never use wobbly windows and rotating cubes, sorry). The little,
8 subtle effects of composite are enough.
9
10 The only defect I can complain -but I suspect it would require a
11 rewriting/rethinking of X apps- is that transparency is applied to a
12 whole window. This has the side effect of lowering the contrast of
13 what's inside the application. In many contexts (not always) - it would
14 be very nice to have a transparent *background* of the current window,
15 but opaque (and therefore fully contrasted) foreground. Think of a
16 terminal, or a text editor, but not only.
17
18 Is there some project aiming to this?
19
20 > I am pretty sure though that xcompmgr and friends (kcompmgr) are dead.
21 > Bugs I've reported against KDE 3.5's compositing issues have been
22 > closed with "WONTFIX" and comments that indicate this.
23
24 That's interesting. Can you point me to a link?
25
26 > The current way things are going is to use compositing window managers
27 > such as compiz, beryl, metacity, <whatever xfce4's wm is named>, etc.
28
29 I would not like to be forced to change WM. I'd like to have the same
30 effects, no matter what WM I'm running. Composite runs independently of
31 the WM - why isn't the same for XGL?
32
33 m.
34 --