From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg 7.0+composite+radeon OSS drivers+radeon9200se : X cpu usage sometimes rockets to > 80%
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:42:53
1 On 10/9/06, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Today I tried to enable the composite extension on my Xorg. Nice eye
5 > candy :) and everything works pretty good.
6 >
7 > The only problem is that sometimes the CPU usage shots to > 80% for
8 > intervals of 20-60 minutes (at pretty random intervals, but it seems to
9 > me that switching desktops a lot helps the bug to come out) and then
10 > quietly settles out. If I kill xcompmgr the CPU usage instantly comes
11 > down to almost zero. Restarting composite makes the CPU usage rise again
12 > to something like 10-20% (it depends), quite high but bearable.
13
14 If you *really* want eye candy, try using beryl and emerald from the
15 portage-xgl layman overlay. ;-)
16
17 I am pretty sure though that xcompmgr and friends (kcompmgr) are dead.
18 Bugs I've reported against KDE 3.5's compositing issues have been
19 closed with "WONTFIX" and comments that indicate this.
20
21 The current way things are going is to use compositing window managers
22 such as compiz, beryl, metacity, <whatever xfce4's wm is named>, etc.
23
24 -Richard
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list