From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: VLC stopped working: XML reader not found
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 02:26:51
1 On 2020-03-22, David Abbott <dabbott@g.o> wrote:
2
3 >>> VLC suddenly stopped working this week. Last week it worked fine, but
4 >>> now I get this:
5 >>>
6 >>> $ vlc
7 >>> VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
8 >>> [000055814c41d3e0] main xml reader error: XML reader not found
9 >>> [000055814c399580] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
10 >>> Segmentation fault
11 >>>
12 >>> I re-emerged it, but no change. Why is VLC suddenly looking for an
13 >>> XML reader and segfaulting when it doesn't find one?
14
15 [doesn't appear to be related to recent addition of second monitor]
16
17 > Is the xml use flag enabled?
18
19 No, it wasn't.
20
21 I rebuilt vlc with the xml flag enabled. No error message about XML
22 reader not found, but it still segfaults.
23
24 Now that I think about it, I can't swear that it didn't always
25 complain about not findig an XML reader. It didn't used to segfault
26 though. :)
27
28 Looking at the emerge logs, I see that a bunch of QT5 stuff got
29 upgraded two days ago. My current assumption is that the qt5 upgrade
30 is the culprit.
31
32 Sure enough, starting vlc with the ncurses interface works fine.
33
34 VLC without the xml use flag also works fine when run with the ncurses
35 interface -- the XML reader not found message is back again. I
36 suspect it's always been there, and I just never noticed until VLC
37 started segfaulting.
38
39 The only other Qt GUI app I have installed (AFAICT) is wireshark. It
40 worked fine a few days ago, and now it segfaults too.
41
42 ... I installed qterminal as a quick test, and it segfaults also.
43
44 I guess I'll have to start rolling back Qt packages on Monday when I
45 need Wireshark to work again. :/
48 Grant