From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user]
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:44:22
1 > I got a message from him.  At least we will know he is OK.  All his
2 > machines was switched to Arch Linux and he wasn't using Gentoo anymore.
3 > So, he unsubscribed and got active with Arch.
4
5 > Miss the guy but glad he is OK and nothing happened to him.
6
7 > Dale
8
9 > :-)  :-)
10
11 When you mentioned the other Allan, I thought of Allan Gottlieb, who used to be on Gentoo list.
12
13 I think he was younger than me by two or three months?
14
15 I believe he is the same Allan Gottlieb I met years ago at The Rockefeller University when he was an (assistant? associate?) professor at CUNY in New York City.
16
17 I don't know if he is still living.
18
19 Regarding Arch, I believe Arch Linux is mainly binary-based, rather than source-based as is the case with Gentoo.
20
21 In May 2013, I joined Arch Linux emailing lists, asked the question about how an Arch system could be updated by building from source, as can be done with FreeBSD and NetBSD.
22
23 Moderator rejected that message, stating that if I looked through the wiki, I could find the answer inside ten minutes, which I couldn't.
24
25 FreeBSD, NetBSD and Gentoo emailing lists are not so hostile!
26
27 Not wanting to feel so tongue-tied, I unsubscribed and became an infant mortality on the Arch emailing lists.
28
29 This was the first and only open-source OS or distro that I rejected on sociological grounds.
30
31 Tom