From: Laurent Kappler <laurent@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Database only server
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:36:52
1 Albert W. Hopkins a écrit :
2 > On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 15:15 +0100, Laurent Kappler wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm looking for some information about the configuration for a server
7 >> used only for a huge database.
8 >> I guess dépendanding on which database server used Mysql or Berkley the
9 >> hardware should not be same.
10 >> Or is it all about having a lot of RAM ?
11 >>
12 >> Could I do that using only Mysql or is it possible to have Mysql and
13 >> Berkley, or should I have just Berkley ... ?
16 > Could you do *what*?
17 >
18 > Do you mean Berkely DB? Berkely DB isn't really a DBMS. It's more of a
19 > flat-file database. It's not even relational, it's key->value based.
20 >
21 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB
22 >
23 > One could argue that MySQL isn't a real DBMS too but I won't get into
24 > that ;-)
25 >
26 > Anyway it's very difficult to answer your questions without knowing what
27 > your requirments are (how large is "huge", how many simultaneous users,
28 > anticipated queries/sec etc.)
33 :)
34 I would like to know more about a configuration with Two servers one for
35 DB and one for Apache.
36 I would have no idea of the number of request right now, I would like to
37 set up a scalable small structure first.
38 But there might be from 5 to a 100 e-commerce application with like
39 between 20 and 5000 products...so it can be small but it can looks huge
40 to me :)
41
42 For me Berkley DB was all loaded in RAM and those been very fast.
43 Even experimental I would like to set up something performant.
44
45 thx ;)
46 Laurent