From: "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Database only server
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:27:44
1 On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 15:15 +0100, Laurent Kappler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm looking for some information about the configuration for a server
5 > used only for a huge database.
6 > I guess dépendanding on which database server used Mysql or Berkley the
7 > hardware should not be same.
8 > Or is it all about having a lot of RAM ?
9 >
10 > Could I do that using only Mysql or is it possible to have Mysql and
11 > Berkley, or should I have just Berkley ... ?
12
13 Could you do *what*?
14
15 Do you mean Berkely DB? Berkely DB isn't really a DBMS. It's more of a
16 flat-file database. It's not even relational, it's key->value based.
17
18 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB
19
20 One could argue that MySQL isn't a real DBMS too but I won't get into
21 that ;-)
22
23 Anyway it's very difficult to answer your questions without knowing what
24 your requirments are (how large is "huge", how many simultaneous users,
25 anticipated queries/sec etc.)