From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: License issues [was:Daniel Robbins' come back ?]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:02:05
1 On Monday 14 January 2008, James wrote:
2
3 > I just do not see the harm in letting a small (sub 1 million dollar
4 > company) build a product and not provide any details or what they did
5 > or how they did it. In the end, their success is more likely related
6 > to how slick their marketing campaign is or how well conceived the
7 > product/service is or how good their support is or some other twist.
8
9 Well, there is nothing wrong and no harm at all. They can surely write
10 their product from scratch and choose to not release any detail about
11 it. In fact, many companies do this all the time.
12 What is wrong is when a company or individual, to save time and money,
13 decides to pick (or usurp, depending on one's point of view) an already
14 existing piece of code and adapt it to their needs, without respecting
15 the rules set by the author of such code (remember that the original
16 author(s) of a GPLed code still retains their copyrights on the code).
17
18 > The GPL goes a long way to discouraging/preventing many of the serfs
19 > from ever trying.... IMHO. I believe that the GPL is the spawn of
20 > satan. I think the 'serfs' (the greater gentoo community) would be
21 > better off with a BSD style license related to Gentoo technologies and
22 > still use GPL software, as the individual chooses. After all, most of
23 > the BSD variants and derivatives (except those RTOS that large
24 > corporations use in some of their products) Still manage to use GPL
25 > software.
26 >
27 > Obviously, you think that GPL is a panacea. OK we agree to disagree.
28
29 Not exactly a panacea. But I do think that the ideas in the GPL are not
30 in contrast with the possibility of making money, both for small
31 companies and big ones alike (and there are real-world examples to
32 confirm this). Of course, all of this IMHO. Your views do have their
33 good points, and I respect them.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list