From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: License issues [was:Daniel Robbins' come back ?]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:34:22
1 Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu <at> unlimitedmail.org> writes:
4 > What you're saying here is not a secret, in fact these are all more or
5 > less well-known facts. Yes, they probably did violate some open source
6 > license. However, I don't see how having had closed source products
7 > would have prevented them from doing what they wanted to do anyway.
8 > And furthermore, what does all this have to do with "making money with
9 > open source"?
12 I just do not see the harm in letting a small (sub 1 million dollar company)
13 build a product and not provide any details or what they did or
14 how they did it. In the end, their success is more likely related
15 to how slick their marketing campaign is or how well conceived the
16 product/service is or how good their support is or some other twist.
17
18 The GPL goes a long way to discouraging/preventing many of the serfs
19 from ever trying.... IMHO. I believe that the GPL is the spawn of satan.
20 I think the 'serfs' (the greater gentoo community) would be better
21 off with a BSD style license related to Gentoo technologies and
22 still use GPL software, as the individual chooses. After all, most
23 of the BSD variants and derivatives (except those RTOS that large
24 corporations use in some of their products) Still manage to use
25 GPL software.
26
27 Obviously, you think that GPL is a panacea. OK we agree to disagree.
30 seeya
33 James
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list