From: Mike Owen <kyphros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ways to update portage
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:23:57
1 On 2/13/06, Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have this server at work, it has been running ok for a long time,
3 > but I'd like to install some new apps to it, but I have a strongly
4 > configured firewall (no rsync) and emerge-webrsync seems to fail every
5 > time.
6 >
7 > Is there another way to update portage tree? For my first update I
8 > downloaded the snapshot and decompressed it directly to the filesystem
9 > (but that requires a reboot and its kinda "brute force"). Is there a
10 > way to download the snapshot and make emerge or even emerge-webrsync
11 > to use the downloaded file instead of trying to download a new one?
12 >
13 > Thanks for any sugestion.
17 If you put the snapshot + md5sum in the directory
18 $PORTAGE_TMPDIR/emerge-webrsync it will use those without downloading
19 a new snapshot.
20
21 Or, you can manually do the sync yourself. Extract the
22 portage-snapshot into a directory, and then use the following command:
23
24 rsync -av --progress --stats --delete --delete-after \
25 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/packages' \
26 --exclude='/local' . ${PORTDIR%%/}
27
28 Either define PORTDIR, or replace that with the location of your
29 portage tree (/usr/portage by default).
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list